Thursday, June 11, 2009

4 Brook Trout

Today I was fishing in a secret location near New Maryland, NB. It was an overcast day with temperatures around 13 Celsius. The stream I was on wasn't too deep - I was fine with rubber boots, but I wore my gore-tex socks underneath to keep dry should I misjudge its depth.

I walked upstream, spending a few minutes casting into any promising-looking spots along the way. Finally I arrived at a still pool which looked large enough to hold some fish. The water was dark; the lower branches of a large tree hung over it, and a large boulder sat to its left. As I was reeling in my first cast, I was sure my lure had caught momentarily on a submerged rock, but instead a viciously thrashing brook trout was on the end of my line! I ended up catching one more at this location, and saw another trout but decided to leave it alone.



I walked a little further upstream and came to an even more promising-looking pool. It was larger and darker than the previous one. Once again, the fish were hungry for my lure, and I pulled two more brookies out, including the largest one to date (the one on the bottom).

Then it was back home to clean and fillet them. Can't wait to eat...

No comments: